This mosque, which can also be called the pearl of the city because it constitutes a very important monument of religious heritage in Prizren, is the most beautiful mosque not only in Prizren but also in Kosovo. Sinan Pasha Mosque is located in the Historic District of the city of Prizren. With its dominant positioning, its dimensions, its shape, the ratio of the minaret to the dome, the construction techniques and materials, the rich decoration of the interior, the Sinan Pasha Mosque represents one of the most characteristic monuments of the ancient city of Prizren. Its construction began in 1607 and was completed in 1615. This monument is named after Sofu Sinan Pasha, who held an important position in the Ottoman administration.
The mosque has a square-shaped plan and the entrance to the mosque from the outside is provided by a carved stone staircase located towards the north. The minaret of the mosque is built of pumice stones (foam stone) with a square base and circular body. Before the entrance of the mosque, there is an open life, also made of stone. The so-called “Hayat” section is covered with three lead-covered domes resting on stone columns with circular bases. The mosque is covered by a large dome with a diameter of 42.5 meters. The interior is a unique space illuminated by tiered windows.
The paintings inside the dome were completed in three phases and are decorated with floral and Islamic motifs. The first and second phases were painted in the “al seco” technique and date back to the XVI-XVII centuries, while the third phase belongs to the XIX century and was painted in the baroque style with predominantly blue colors.
Due to the historically unfavorable conditions in Kosovo, this mosque was not able to serve religious needs without interruption.
Until 1912, it served the religious needs of the faithful, but during the Balkan Wars and the First World War, it was sufficiently damaged, especially the life section. In 1967, with the establishment of the Organization for the Protection of Cultural Monuments, the maintenance of the monuments began. In 1968-69, after a renovation, this mosque was transformed into the Museum of Oriental Manuscripts.
From 2007 to 2011, restoration works were carried out both inside and outside, and immediately after these restoration works, it was reopened as a mosque.
In addition to the arrangement of the courtyard on the south side, a traditional place was opened where residents can relax in front of the mosque’s beautiful view.
Finally, in 2016, the mosque was officially declared under permanent protection by the Kosovo Cultural Heritage Council.